Friday, October 25, 2013

homeschooling, week 8


We had quite an unstructured week. Since completing the All About Reading program, Sanji has just been reading books even more than usual (instead of having a formal lesson).  I entered a contest to win a $100 gift card from All About Learning Press, the winner is announced on my birthday. No way I don't, win, right? In the off chance that I don't win (yes, I'm being sarcastic), then I'll have to dish out the $100 to buy level 2. I actually am not loving having this gap, even though Sanji is a pretty advanced reader for her age.

I found a few websites that test reading ability, not comprehension. She tests pretty equally across the board, with two of the four that we did having a wide range. The lowest put her at late 2nd grade level, the best at late 3rd grade level. Here are the ones we used.

Dear Teacher

MINDSprinting

Reading Key

Sonlight

Until we begin AAR 2, I've decided that we'll use Explode the Code online. I purchased it through the Homeschool Buyer's Coop for $35 plus a $5 processing fee. I earn Smart Points if you purchase through my link so should you decide to try it, please click here!

We did the next 3 lessons in Right Start Math. There were some fun games and I am really feeling confident that this curriculum is laid out in a way that allows her to really pick up the concepts. Some days we have repeated a lesson two days in a row because I felt she needed it. Usually, that's not necessary. Each new lesson pulls from past lessons so it is important that she really grasp the concept before we move on. If I feel we need to reinforce it, we'll usually do just one activity from the most recent lesson. If there was a game, we play it again.

I prep the supplies right after we sit down and she does her calendar work


Two consecutive lessons had even/odd activities.
On the 2nd day she could quickly distinguish between the two visually

The last game we played had me placing folded slips of paper into a basket. The manual says this is a game inspired by Montessori. There were 2 slips of each number, but some were written numerically and others were written in tally marks. We took turns and would say aloud the number that we pulled. Then we had to enter it on the abacus. It was fun for both of us.

We had playdates, theater class, and piano. We spent a lot of time outdoors playing in the gorgeous sun and all the leaves in the yard. We didn't pick up Little House all week. That changes come Monday. I'm pretty sure Sanji is missing Laura as much as I am!

Sanji & Aria checking out the Halloween sensory bin

No comments:

Post a Comment